Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Via Ales Rarus, a solid post by a Methodist minister about seemingly irreconcilable differences. It summarizes a lot of the groundwork I've been trying to lay here. The original post is about Christian community, but I think it applies to differences that crop up within the pro-life community as well:

The better way is to face our disagreements openly, with the humility to be willing to learn from one another. Of course, in any argument I’m going to be sure I’m right. And I’ve got an opinion about everything. But I hope I’ve acquired sufficient wisdom to know that I won’t be right about everything. It’s in dialogue with one another that we learn and grow . . . . Talk to me. Say your piece and, I hope, let me say mine. The internet offers us more channels for communication than we’ve ever had before . . . . It’s up to us whether we use the opportunity to promote growth or deepen our divisions.


Practical Pro-Life Action: Wherever you discuss pro-life issues today, listen well. Make sure to respond to what the other person really said, not what you think they said or a similar thing that someone else once said.

No comments: