Friday, November 23, 2007

Great post at Abortion Hurts about post-traumatic stress disorder and abortion. It's a letter written by a woman who had had an abortion, to a psychiatrist she visited. Apparently, the psychiatrist did little to help her, but spent the visit mostly hammering home pro-choice rhetoric. She complains that, between the "amateur counseling" of most pro-lifers and the highly ideological insistences of doctors like the one she saw, women have few resources when dealing with post-abortive pain. She writes:

[W]hen I met you, I had another, less personal reason for seeking you out. If I continue speaking publicly about how abortion has negatively affected my life, I will run into other women who have problems. Unfortunately, some of these will be like me, and while the Scripture-based post-abortion counseling programs are helpful in a spiritual way, those women who are particularly afflicted with psychiatric disorders will need expert medical attention. In addition, most of the post-abortion counseling programs are faith-based, usually Christian; we must have an answer for our sisters who have not received the gift of faith; or who are of another faith entirely; or who feel justified in having aborted, yet still suffer over the difficult decision they have made. As it stands, we are leaving the counseling to the pro-life community, and it is full of amateurs.



Practical Pro-Life Action: Even if you're not a student of medicine or psychology, get informed. Spend 15 minutes today studying the physical and psychological effects of abortion. Don't be an "amateur counselor," but instead, be articulate about what abortion does to women, and sensitive when you discuss it.

2 comments:

Silent Rain Drops said...

Katya,

Thank you for reading my blogspot. I have added yours to my links as well - I am most impressed with your commentary guidelines, as they reflect your philosophy and compassion. Yours is the first link I've added in well over a year, so you can see I deeply admire your work. I look forward to reading more.

It isn't necessary for you to publish my comment; I just wanted to thank you and tell you I'm glad you're here.

Katya said...

Thanks so much for the kind words -- but most importantly for having the courage to share your story. I'm glad you're here, too.